Greater than 64,000 individuals died from an unintentional drug overdose final 12 months, making it the main reason behind demise amongst People below 50. What’s irritating – and provides purpose for hope – is that these deaths are largely preventable and might be considerably decreased by implementing efficient, evidence-based drug insurance policies.
In anticipation of Worldwide Overdose Consciousness Day on August 31, specialists from the Drug Coverage Alliance can be found for in-studio, distant and cellphone/Skype interviews to deal with the next matters and extra:
- Maria McFarland Sánchez-Moreno, government director of the Drug Coverage Alliance, on the Trump Administration’s counterproductive technique round opioids and the function the drug struggle performs in worsening the disaster, in addition to life-saving coverage options to the disaster.
- Michael Collins, DPA nationwide affairs knowledgeable, on present federal legislative proposals that may be useful in lowering overdose deaths, in addition to disastrous payments at present in play.
- Lindsay LaSalle, DPA senior employees legal professional, on her latest report An Overdose Loss of life Is Not Homicide: Why Drug-Induced Murder Legal guidelines Are Counterproductive and Inhumane.
- Kassandra Frederique, DPA New York State Director, on how supervised consumption websites in New York and different exhausting hit areas can assist scale back overdose deaths and crime and the way the present opioid disaster engendered a distinct set of responses than previous drug crises that have been seen as primarily affecting Black and Latinx communities.
- Laura Thomas, DPA California Director, on how extra communities throughout the nation wish to supervised consumption websites and different health-centered approaches in addressing the overdose disaster and myths and information surrounding these approaches.
- Sheila Vakharia, DPA coverage knowledgeable, on how the present disaster is about extra than simply opioids and in addition consists of elevated overdose and deaths from stimulant medication like cocaine and methamphetamine, and efficient, evidence-based methods that can curtail this new section of the overdose disaster.
- Stefanie Jones, Director of DPA’s Safer Partying marketing campaign, on drug schooling and hurt discount efforts like drug checking to forestall medical emergencies and overdose inside pageant, live performance and membership settings.
Final Fall, the Drug Coverage Alliance a launched complete motion plan to deal with growing charges of opioid use and overdose. The plan marks a radical departure from the punitive responses that characterize a lot of U.S. drug coverage and as an alternative focuses on scientifically confirmed hurt discount and public well being interventions that may enhance remedy outcomes and scale back the unfavourable penalties of opioid misuse, comparable to transmission of infectious ailments and overdose.