Suggestions Embrace Including New Qualifying Situations, Increasing Variety of Different Remedy Facilities, Permitting Entry to Edible Medical Marijuana Merchandise
Advocates Applaud Murphy Administration for Appearing Rapidly to Broaden the Lengthy-Stalled Program
Trenton, NJ— At the moment, Governor Phil Murphy introduced steps to increase New Jersey’s long-stalled Medicinal Marijuana Program. The Governor acted shortly after taking workplace, issuing an government order mandating the Division of Well being to evaluate this system and make suggestions for enchancment. The announcement immediately is the results of this government order.
The modifications embody:
- 5 new qualifying situations, together with power ache associated to musculoskeletal issues, power ache of visceral origin (regarding the abdomen), migraines, nervousness and Tourette Syndrome;
- Different Remedy Facilities (ATCs) at present working will be capable of open satellite tv for pc places and an extra develop website with the intention to improve the availability of medical marijuana;
- Registration charges can be decreased from $ 200 to $ 100 for a medical marijuana card;
- All sufferers will be capable of entry edible types of marijuana;
- The month-to-month restrict can be raised from 2 ounces to four ounces;
- Sufferers will be capable of register at multiple ATC.
Advocates applauded the Division of Well being and Governor Murphy for the short motion.
“We need to thank Commissioner Elnahal and Governor Murphy for shifting so shortly to increase the New Jersey Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act,” stated Roseanne Scotti, New Jersey state director of the Drug Coverage Alliance. “This motion will assist hundreds of sufferers for whom medical marijuana is the most suitable choice for relieving their struggling and enhancing their high quality of life.”
The Drug Coverage Alliance led the marketing campaign to move the New Jersey Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act and has continued to work to see this system successfully carried out. The Drug Coverage Alliance submitted a petition to the state’s Medicinal Marijuana Evaluation Panel in assist of including power ache to the checklist of qualifying situations.
The New Jersey Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act was signed by Governor Jon Corzine proper earlier than he left workplace in January 2010 resulting from advocacy by the Drug Coverage Alliance and companions. Then incoming Governor Chris Christie was charged with implementing the regulation. Sufferers and advocates have criticized the sluggish implementation—eight years later the state has solely 5 Different Remedy Facilities the place sufferers can entry medical marijuana—and the burdensome rules the Christie Administration promulgated.